Thursday, September 15, 2011

Analyzing an Argument Excercise.


Exercise Number 2

1. I’m on my way to school.
2. I left five minutes late.
3. Traffic is heavy.
4. Therefore, I’ll be late for class.
5. So I might as well stop and get breakfast.

Exercise number 2 is an argument. The conclusion is that I will be late for class, even if I stop for breakfast. Possible additional premises that would be needed could be before sentence 5. I would add a statement that would explain why being late class after eating breakfast is no different from going straight to class already late. This would add another justification to have breakfast. The sub-arguments in this argument are sentences 1, 2, and 3. Sentences 1, 2, and 3 are independent sub-arguments.

I believe this is a good argument because it is straightforward and the premise was clear and it made the conclusion valid, but the argument may have been irrational since it is justified with a weak premise.

I found this argument useful because it is an example that is very relatable. Since attendance in college isn’t mandatory. Students show up if they want to and make everyday decisions about whether going to class is worth their time. The student in exercise number 2 might have felt like any common college student would. “I’ve already missed a potion of the class, it’s already too late.” Breaking down an argument helps with identifying the key components found in all arguments. This helps with figuring out the validity and effectiveness of the argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment