Friday, September 2, 2011

Vague and Ambiguous Sentences.


A sentence is vague when it lacks detail and someone is left unclear of the speaker's message. Vague sentences are very common in conversation. People may intentionally be vague to keep conversations going through a series of questions and answers. School just started and I ask people questions like "how have you been?" or "how was your summer?" I've heard "I'm fine," or "summer was good" plenty of times. Many people never seem to give detail right away. Sometimes I perceive it to be like some sort of test to see whether you really care to hear more or not. This reminds me of facebook. People call for attention all the time with vague sentences like, “I’m having a bad day.” People can either choose to comment the person show concern and ask what’s wrong and ask for more details, cheer them up, or scroll past it. Vague sentences cause us to put in more effort to find answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment