Friday, September 30, 2011

Advertisement



This advertisement is implying that Verizon is more reliable than AT & T and is used to persuade opinion on which service to go to. According to Epstein, the 3 choices we can make about whether to believe a claim are: accept the claim is true, reject the claim as false, or suspend judgment. Someone who thinks about cost over quality could suspend judgement because they feel a mobile device is unnecessary or if both services are out of their price range and could go to another server like Metro PCS or T-Mobile. We accept or reject claims from personal experiences. Though I have AT & T, I can accept this claim to be true because I experience drop calls sometimes and also because my friends who have Verizon have service in places I don’t a lot of the time.

We also accept or reject claims from other sources. The claim is made by Verizon, a large corporation considered to be one of the best in the nation. Loyal customers can accept the claim because Internet and phone service is considered Verizon’s expertise. We would reject the claim if the reputable authority has reason to mislead consumers. The ad was not found in a reputable journal or reference, so we could reject the claim based on the fact it does not come from a dependable source. We can reject the claim because advertisements are not usually reliable and have only one motive and that is to get a contract with Verizon. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, I also get a lot of dropped calls. But it amazing how exaggerated Verizons coverage map is. The whole U.S ios basically covered, and AT&T has only about a fourth. My boyfriend is always talking about Verizon and AT&T and it's comparisons. He is fooled by Verizons coverage map. I tell him that just because they show a map that claims to have a lot better service, it doesn't necesairly mean it is true. I'm sure it has bad services in other areas. I really don't like how they try to fool people by these coverage maps. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey MissVaness! I agree with you and believe that when you're choosing your service you're choosing according to what you believe you should have. Personal experiences do play a big role in choosing what's best for youself. I have a lot of friends with AT&T and they always get dropped calls and no service most of the time. My family chose verizon and I feel like it was a good choice because I rarely experience what AT&T customers have to go through. Although the picture does not come from a reiable source like you said, in my own experience it's true. Thanks for your input on your blog!

    ReplyDelete