Saturday, November 5, 2011

Appeal to Fear Exercise 3


When I think of the Appeal to Fear approach and how it is used through advertising, I automatically think about above the influence or anti-smoking commercials. I believe that these advertisements are very powerful and can grab the attention of any average teenager and have them reflect on their habits; I can say that every above the influence advertisement or anti-smoking commercial that I have ever seen has caused me to reflect on my habits, as well as, the habits of my friends. In these advertisements, teenagers are put into fear about ruining their lives, losing themselves, getting a hole in their throat, having damaged lungs, second-handedly hurting the people they love or even strangers around them, being a victim of all sorts of cancers, and of course dying of an early age.

In this particular ad I found (1st picture), a girl is passed out and drawn all over. This presents the conclusion of drug and alcohol abuse. This is a good argument because the premises and conclusion are true based on strong examples given. The next picture is a creative ad that demonstrates how smoking lessens the time you have alive.



No comments:

Post a Comment